It’s Stress Awareness Month this April. The month is all about raising awareness of stress, its causes and cures.
It’s not possible, nor indeed desirable, to ‘stress-proof’ your workplace. However, there are a number of things that you can do to reduce the likelihood of unnecessary stress occurring:
- Prioritise work. Ensure unnecessary tasks are eliminated. Prioritise important tasks over others.
- Ensure your team are adequately trained. Regularly review their training needs and what is expected of them.
- Give people control over the work they do. Encourage them to take responsibility for how they do the work.
- Try to ensure people have variety in the work they do.
- Be aware of any signs of conflict within the team. Be ready to intervene to resolve any issues.
- Look out for signs of bullying behaviour and deal with it directly.
- Communicate regularly and clearly. This will make sure everyone is clear about what is happening
- Make sure individuals work to clear, agreed objectives. Review these periodically to ensure they remain up to date.
- Provide regular, constructive feedback. Not just at appraisal time but on a more frequent basis.
- Encourage a healthy work-life balance. Ensure that staff take their annual leave and discourage your team from taking work home in the evenings or at weekends.