The annual NEMO Conference was an extra special occasion this year as the dealer group celebrates 25 years of business success. The event, held at the De Vere Carden Park Hotel in Chester between Friday 22nd and Sunday 24th June, centred on the theme of ‘Growth and Innovation’.
The weekend kicked off with a series of team building activities – golf, archery, laser clay pigeon shooting and even duck herding! The poor weather certainly did not dampen people’s spirits and the competition soon began to heat up.
Friday evening’s Caribbean themed beach party provided the ideal opportunity for everyone to parade their brightest and brashest Hawaiian shirts and indulge in some fun beach-themed games and entertainment. More importantly though, it was a chance to raise a lot of money for the Boss Federation Benevolent fund – one of the Chairman’s chosen charities for the year.
Saturday began early with a presentation from Google’s Industry Manager Alex Nurnberg, who gave a fascinating insight into current and future online trends. The business session continued with a vendor exhibition where a record 52 vendors were given the opportunity to showcase new and upcoming products and further develop their relationships with NEMO members.
Saturday evening played host to the Gala Dinner and Awards Ceremony. The Hollywood theme and black-tie dress code ensured that the glamour stakes were high and guests enjoyed a three course meal and some fabulous entertainment.
The NEMO Awards themselves were, as always, keenly contested. Recognising the achievements of both suppliers and members, the awards are divided into a number of categories. This year’s winners were:
- Best Stand of Show – Newell Rubbermaid
- Wholesaler of the Year – Antalis
- Vendor of the Year – Trodat
- Manufacturer of the Year – Ricoh
- The Design Unique Award for Innovation – Safescan
- Dealer of the Year under £1million – Cleveland Copiers
- Dealer of the Year over £1million – Henry Gibson Stationers
- Office Style award – Office Equipment Centre
- Personality of the Year – Gordon Moore -DAMS
- Dealer Excellence Award – Robert Hall Business Equipment
- Outstanding Contribution to NEMO – Member – Trevor Peak (Founder Member)
- Outstanding Contribution to NEMO – Supplier – Stan Pratley – William Jones Clifton
Gina Smith, Dealer Group Director of Spicers thanked and congratulated NEMO on a fantastic conference with a great atmosphere. ‘From a business perspective it worked for us, giving us loads of opportunities to meet NEMO members and have some really good discussions.
Personally I can’t remember the last time I laughed so much in one evening; the gala dinner was fab from start to finish and the people on my table were inclusive on both evenings so it made for a really great time.”
Derek Bamford CEO of NEMO expressed his thanks to all the conference sponsors and exhibitors for their support on marking NEMO’s 25th year with an extraordinary celebration.